Does a person need to join a religious organization to be liberated?
His Divine Presence has stated: “Liberation [deliverance, salvation] of the soul is not dependent on membership in any religious group or church. Liberation is achieved through the worship of the One God, acceptance of His Divine Messenger, and cultivation of the Twelve Virtues and Holy Commandments.”
“Worship the One God who is outside of time and creation; abandon idolatry.”
“Accept the Divine Messenger sent by God and the pure teaching.”
“Cultivate the Twelve Virtues: Royalty, Wisdom, Victory, Contentment, Purity, Truth, Faith, Patience, Sincerity, Kindness, Justice, and Light. The cultivation of the Twelve Virtues will draw you closer to God.”
“Practice the weekly Alms-giving, for it is a means by which you can receive intercession for your shortcomings.”
“Observe the seventh day Sabbath given by the Great Father.”1
“Observe the Ten Holy Commandments given in the religion of Light.”2
“Call upon my name regularly.”3
“The truth of the Message of Light is not too difficult to accept. Regardless of one’s race, nationality, gender or social status, you are accepted as one of the children of Light if you are observing these simple truths, whether you call yourself Hindu, Jewish, Buddhist, Christian or Manichaean. Liberation is not found in any earthly or worldly religious organization, but can be found in the practice of the religion of Light. This is my covenant with you. Abandon all forms of idolatry, harmful desires, extreme materialism and accept the message of Light as it is, without attachment to preconceived ideas and assumptions.”
“When you genuinely accept and honestly live by these truths, I will accept you.”
1 The Sabbath is observed from sundown Friday to sundown Saturday. If at all possible, adherants refrain from labourious and non-essential activities, and instead, focus on spiritual matters and the Teaching of His Divine Presence.
2 The Ten Holy Commandments in the Religion of Light:
- Worship the One God and do not worship idols (do not bow down to physical objects or ideals in order to worship them.)
- Do not be dishonest in your ways.
- Do not be greedy.
- Do not murder a man, a woman or a child, neither shall you abort an infant; and do not commit to unnecessary killing of any life including animals and plants.
- Do not be unfaithful to your spouse, or commit any form of sexual misconduct.
- Do not commit theft.
- Do not deceive someone in order to mislead them.
- Do not practice magic.
- Do not commit hypocrisy in your ways.
- Seek peace and be fair to all regardless of a person’s ethnicity, colour, nationality, religious beliefs, gender or sexuality.
3 Reciting the name of the Divine Messenger with thanksgiving for His grace is practiced ten times per day, although an adherant of the Teaching of His Divine Presence may recite His name more than the traditional ten times if he or she wishes.